Simple Tips for a Stress-Free First Day
Next week marks the last full week of summer for many LA families, or close to thereafter, and it’s always good to have a little check list of “to-dos” at hand so that the first day of school doesn’t arrive with a frenzy! We compiled some key pointers and even an app that might help for a smooth and easy start.
With anticipation often comes stress, so it’s helpful to have a few simple tools to squash the stress and replace it with positivity, excitement, and confidence. Grab a special first day outfit, make a one-stop shopping list, and share your favorite back to school memories! Read more:
- Stop drinking caffeine in the early afternoon.
- Exercise 2-4 hours before bedtime.
- Shut everything down before bedtime. No TV, games, text messages, homework at all. And especially don’t do any of these things in bed. Associating your bed with wakefulness makes it more difficult to sleep.
- Create a relaxing ritual like a cup of herbal tea and a book (not an e-reader – lit screens stimulate the brain too much for restfulness), a hot bath with lavender, or some light yoga stretches. When your body gets used to a ritual, you’ll be ready for sleep the moment it’s over.
- Go to sleep at the same time every night, no matter what. We are such creatures of habit that this will work wonders.
In this age where there’s an app for everything, we found a great one that can help us take some deep breaths and set positive patterns on a daily basis, or whenever we have a few extra minutes. Mediation has been proven to help with stress, focus and sleep, and Headspace makes it super easy to learn. They’ve even created one especially for kids, and what better time to start learning mindfulness and relaxation techniques.