Top Tips to Start the School Year Positively
After the fun of summer, the school bell strikes again to signal the start of a new school year. It is an exciting time for children and parents alike – new teachers, classmates, classrooms, activities and in some cases, a new school altogether. But it can also be stressful for the exact same reasons! Big Little Lies anyone? With a week or so to go, we have tips to help ease into the school year and start off on a positive note.
Photo by Tim Mossholder
- Set your kids’ sleep schedules back to “school time” a week to two weeks before the first day of school.
- Visit cultural attractions like museums to shift their brains into “scholar” mode. A few of our favorites include: La Brea Tar Pits and Museum, LACMA and the California Science Center.
- Get your kids involved in programs they can do after school to keep them active.
Photo by Jeffrey Hamilton
- Create a family calendar that tracks everyone’s activities and commitments to help keep everyone organized.
- Designate an activity-free day for relaxation or spontaneous family adventures.
- Visit the school with your kids so they can get familiar with their new environment.
- Talk to your kids about what they can expect on their first day so they feel more prepared.
Photo by Katsuri Roy
- If possible, arrange playdates with a couple of your kids’ friends to rebuild existing social ties
- Include your kids in back-to-school shopping by letting them pick out their items.